Friday, April 6, 2007

Denied

I thought I would be a good American citizen and give blood. My work was having a blood drive, and if you signed up, you also got entered into a raffle to win 2 tickets to six Tiger's games, so I thought it would be worth the sacrifice! Well, for years I haven't been able to give blood because of having had Leukemia, but I had heard that as long as you've been in remission for 5 years, you can give. Well, I've been in remission for 23 years, so I thought I'd be good as gold. Wrong. I can't give blood, ever. Funny thing is though, I turned into my mom for moment as the lady asked when I had leukemia. Would you believe, I got the chance to tell my testimony? She was amazed and so interested and, although I had to be brief because others were waiting, I can tell she was touched. Then I went back upstairs to get back to work, and people asked how it went, and I had to tell them I couldn't give. When they wanted to know why not, well, wouldn't you know, there again I had more opportunities to tell of the wonderful Grace of God. Isn't he good?
Growing up I was sometimes embarrassed when people would find out I had cancer. They would look at me so shocked, but I felt so awkward. It came up more often than I would have liked, because it was a part of me. It was my childhood. Now when it comes up, I'm happy to share my story.

No comments: