Friday, September 25, 2009

Staying in Step with the Spirit/M&M week 3

When I was in 9th grade, I was in marching band. I played the flute. I was totally self-conscious and so afraid I would play the wrong note, I would just fake it that I was playing and hope my band teacher didn't notice. It was too hard to concentrate on marching in beat with everyone else AND play at the same time! That's like chewing gum and walking! The girl behind me however was always a 1/2 step a head of the beat. Every few turns, she would stomp on my foot and I would stumble, and the band teacher would glare at me, thinking I was the one off beat! It was so frustrating! The teacher would always tell us that if you rush and make the wrong step, you mess up the whole plan, and it is difficult to get back to where we need to be.

I think keeping in step with the Spirit is like that. We have to find the right beat, or timing and stay in sync with God's plan for our lives. This requires of us discipline and admitting we do not have perfect timing. If we step out of line to do our own thing, it will only be that much harder to find our way back to where He wants us to be.

We aren't perfect. We want things when we want them. We want our prayers answered immediately, our families saved, the perfect job, the perfect spouse, a big house, our children to follow God always, etc. When our prayers aren't being answered in OUR timing, it is easy to step out of line and try to make something happen before God's timing. How many know that forcing something to happen in our timing rather than God's always seems to have a consequence? Often times it means more heartache, frustration, grief and anxiety. We even lose focus and faith.

Also as easy as rushing ahead is lagging behind, the not knowing what God wants of us. What do many people do when they don't know what God wants us to do? Nothing. They wait for what they believe God is going to do for them. When nothing happens, they lose faith and question God's plan. If God's plan for you is not clear, one thing is: trust Him. Be consistent in prayer and your devotion, talk to your mentor or an accountability partner. Have prayer partners. God NEVER lets us down, but we can let ourselves down. Through trust and prayer, we are sure to continue to march in step.

Verses: Galations 5:25; Micah 6:8;

No comments: