Monday, September 23, 2013

Attempting to be a breakfasting-making mom

Getting 3 kids out the door to get one of them to school on time has proven to be a great undertaking. Someone poops, pees, is starving, can't find a shoe, etc and all of the above at the exact moment we are already 5 minutes past my first attempt at leaving the house. Some days I just throw in the towel and say, "we'll get there when we get there" and other days I'm psycho mom, carrying kids out football style, while another never put shoes on and all may or may not have had breakfast. Not for the lack of trying, but they are just not breakfast people! Granola bars, yogurt, applesauce, cold pizza, dry cereal, cereal with milk, toast...I have all this stuff at any given time and most times it's a battle to get them to eat one Cheerio. It's very tempting to grab a box of Pop-Tarts, aka, cookies marketed as a breakfast item, and let them go at it. But, I do care about their growing bodies to a degree, so those mornings we are so rushed I forget to make my coffee, I kindly go through Tim Horton's and grab them something they can eat in the van....a vanilla dipped donut with sprinkles. Yep. (blast away, crunchy moms, blast away.)

 So I found on Pinterest a decent looking recipe for these mini-muffin scrambled egg things. Looked easy enough and I had all the ingredients so I decided to whip up a batch this afternoon. Let me start by saying, I don't really "do" eggs. I may eat them on occasion when we go out to breakfast, and I will once in a great while scramble some up for Sam and Elisabeth if I somehow managed to wake up before the crack of dawn and not in a frenzy to rush out the door.

Well, eggs are gross. I thought chicken was gross to work with. Eggs are like snot. As I poured the egg mixture into the mini muffin pan, globs of egg white would plop in and splash out or overfill the cup. I guess I didn't whisk them enough, so I tried to use a spoon to scoop some out and into a different cup. Bleh. *insert gag sound here*. It is the consistency of a toddler's snot. Not the easy to wipe stuff, the stuff that just keeps smearing and sliding and you have to use like 100 tissues to clean the child's face. I almost threw it away, but figured, I'll just feed them to everyone else! I chopped up some cooked turkey bacon...and by chopped I mean, attempted to chop but that did nothing so I manhandled the bacon into pieces. Why does turkey bacon not crisp like pork?! sheesh.

Baked for 14 minutes at 350, which of course, I did not preheat because I never do. I'm not against it, I just never can remember to do it. If I do remember, I most certainly do not remember to then switch the knob on my ancient stove to "bake" and therefore my creations do not get cooked properly. Many a dishes have been wasted or ruined by this issue I have.

I know right now you are expecting me to say they burned or were nasty. But, you know what? They turned out fine. Butt ugly and stuck to the pan, and those little beasts were a pain to get out of my supposedly non-stick pan, but guess what? Sam tried one...AND LIKED IT. He asked for seconds and then said he needed to save the rest for breakfast because he was gonna "tear them up". Well, thank you, Jesus for Pinterest. My kid is not gonna starve tomorrow! (disclaimer: I do not let my child go to school without some sort of breakfast!





No comments: