Friday, August 1, 2008

Motherhood: Some Thoughts

As I was getting ready for work today, I was thinking about motherhood. I thought about how being a mom has completely changing my thought process, goals, work, life...everything. I thought about how I want to be a stay at home mom, something I would have cringed at 10 years ago. Then I thought about Mary....was she a stay at home mom? I assume, since Joseph was a carpenter, probably his own business. She may have helped out in the shed. I thought about what Jesus may have been like as a child, since the only childhood thing mentioned is when he was 12 at the Tabernacle. Since he did not have an inherited sinful nature and was perfect, what was he like as a two year old? And how did he know to not pull the goat's tail? Did he never break something valuable or throw away his mom's shoe? If Joseph got a splinter, did Jesus supernaturally remove it for him, painlessly? Seriously though, what kind of perks did Mary and Joseph get for looking after Jesus? And really, how much "looking after" did they have to do? Did they scold him? No, he was perfect so they likely never had to. Did they tell him what to do, how to be a man? OR, did he tell THEM what to do, and how to live a sinless life? Did he tell them he was ashamed or disappointed when they sinned or argued? I really wonder what that home was like. I imagine peace, quiet and calm. Laughter and love. I imagine that Jesus sat in the floor and told elaborate stories of what was to come, and Mary and Joseph would laugh thinking what a great imagination. And then those things would happen and they'd be astonished. Course, after one or two miracles from their 4 year old, I'm sure it stopped being shocking and was more, "Yep, that's my boy."
Those are just some thoughts that went through my head today. As my mom would always tell me when I had questions she couldn't answer, I guess I'll have to wait until I get to Heaven to ask Jesus himself.

1 comment:

liv319 said...

Very interesting thoughts.. I often ponder on what Christ was like as a child.. I wish Mary would have journaled a little bit for us!! Although I must say I would assume being the Mother of God himself couldn't have been that bad...Except the part where you live your life knowing that your son will be killed for the sake of someone else's son, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I'm sure she found things to worry about:
"ok, what do I do if the Pharasees capture and kill my son" or "Where is Jesus going to preach today, I hope He is discreet" or calling friend Martha: "Martha, I got called into temple today, Jesus was trying to preach while the rabbi was preaching. He was correcting what the Rabbi said, again".