Monday, September 15, 2008

My Son, Sam the Ham

Children sure know how to make you want to kick yourself. I can admit, I have not had much patience with my child lately. I have had a lot on my mind and been under a lot of stress, and unfortunately that leaves me with little energy or patience for Sammy. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sammy. I wouldn't trade him for anything! He is so sweet and smart and loving. He's also very energetic ALL the time and happens to be going through this clingy, whiny phase. All he wants is his Mommy. Hey, what can I say? The kid loves me! It also makes me feel incredibly guilty that when I lose my cool or get annoyed when he head butts me in the chin for 1,000th time or digs his feet into my ribcage when climbing up me to get to the dog on the back of the couch that he still loves me and wants me. If I yell at him, he is devasted and needs me to hold him. Not Marty, not Grandma, but Momma, the one that just yelled at him. He loves both of them very much, of course, but when he senses I'm irritated, he wants to be closer! It's like rubbing salt in the wound!

So my little Sammy with the big blue eyes that are hypnotizing would not sleep last night. He kept waking up and calling, "Momma, Momma, Momma!" So I eventually succumbed to crawling into his tiny firetruck bed and laying with him a while. He wraps his tiny arms around my neck and dozed right off, snoring away while I just watched him sleep. Not to get sappy, but there is something about watching your kids sleep. He looked so at peace! Peace ended when this morning after I was all ready for work I had to wake him up. The Grouch was alive! Anyway, so the cutest thing- Sammy found Motorcycle Ken and Barbie in Alexis's room yesterday and decided to sleep with them. Then just when we were heading out the door to daycare this morning, he stopped and ran to his room to get them. He came back proudly holding up the dolls and with the biggest, cheesiest smile (first smile of the morning is the best:) he held up Ken and said, "Daaaaddddyyyy!" and then held of Barbie and yelled, "MOOOOMMMMMMMMMMAAAA!!!!" Then giggled and hugged them both, squeezing hard enough to almost pop a neck off. Then he gave each of them a kiss and took them to daycare with him, smiling as he showed them off to Mary and the other kids that were there. It was so cute, I couldn't make him leave them at home!
Anyway, I just had to share all that. I've been thinking about it all day!

Let's spiritualize, as Ang and I love to do: I can imagine God in Heaven picking us up like that, so proud with a big grin, squeezing us in his arms and loving on us like we can do no wrong! Although, clearly we can :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Sammy is clinggy rt now because A) he adores you.. and for that you should feel so good and B) He misses you!!! You're gone for a long time and as they get older they are starting to realize that there's a lot of time apart. when I was working my two or three 12's a week in the begining Christian really didn't notice, but then all of a sudden.. I couldn't leave the room. I thus lowered my hours to two 10's.. I will say this though @ least he wants you and wants your arms around him.. one of these days he'll be all grown up wanting a different woman to sleep in that firetruck bed with... his wife!!!!