Thursday, September 11, 2008

My verse of the day

Every morning I go on Bible Gateway or read a devotional and I read multiple verses until one just strikes me as significant in the moment I am in. When I find it, I know it's "the one"; my verse for the day. I might write it on a post it and attempt to commit it to memory. By the way, memorizing scriptures is so key to growing in God. Being able to recall a verse in an instant to help someone or even help yourself really confirms your commitment. So my verses of the day are 1 Peter 1:6-9. I found it on Bible Gateway and I have to post The Message Bible version, because that Bible cracks me up with its translations. I highly encourage everyone to go on Biblegateway.com and search out some of your favorite verses and see the translation from the Message Bible.
1 Peter 1:6-9
6-7 -I know how great this makes you feel, even though you have to put up with every kind of aggravation in the meantime. Pure gold put in the fire comes out of it proved pure; genuine faith put through this suffering comes out proved genuine. When Jesus wraps this all up, it's your faith, not your gold, that God will have on display as evidence of his victory.
8-9- You never saw him, yet you love him. You still don't see him, yet you trust him—with laughter and singing. Because you kept on believing, you'll get what you're looking forward to: total salvation.

And for those totally confused because you are so used to NKJV:
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, 8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.
I'm not going to blog what this verse means to me or any of that. You take from it what it means to you. We all go through different things at different times and come out a different person. I try to learn something from everything that happens in my life. I want to grow and be molded into what God wants for me. Though no one's life has more promise than someone else's, I know that the greater the calling means often the greater the testing so that your Faith will withstand any trial, struggle or issue that may come your way. He cannot use you as a leader if you cannot lead by example, you can't be a great parent and raise great kids without knowing how to discipline with love- like he disciplines us.
I often use the quote "That which doesn't kill you will make you stronger"...but only if you let it. You can succomb and wallow in your emotions, or you can have Faith and trust in God to get you through the situation and become what HE wants you to be. A leader, a servant, a parent, a mentor, a loving spouse, a strong caregiver, a trusting friend, an example of Him to the unsaved.

No comments: