Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Expecting the Unexpected: He is more than Enough

This weekend was a great weekend for me. I went to the On Eagle’s Wings retreat with several other women from our church. I went with high expectations, asking God for a specific word. I wrote out my list, committed it to prayer everyday for over a month and knew I would receive my word. At Friday night’s service, one of the leader’s, “If you came expecting something specific, you can throw that out the window.” I was shocked! But, then I gave it to God. I simply prayed, “God have YOUR way, not mine.”
I did not receive my specific word. Many of my friends received words and confirmations of words and I thought, “Hey! What about my word? Where is mine?” I tried not to dwell on it, and just kept praying my simple prayer. We sang a song, “More Than Enough” (Gary Oliver) and the words spoke to me. Our God IS more than enough. We don’t have to keep “reminding” Him of our wants and needs. He knows. There is nothing wrong with expecting to receive, but why limit God with specific requests?
My unexpected blessing came during worship. I was able to worship Him freely with no inhibitions: no 2-year old clinging to me, no obligations to minister to someone else; I was there to receive and just BE with God. It was a weekend of refreshing, relaxing and building relationships with wonderful, Christian women. During worship, I continually praised Him, thanked Him and honored Him. That’s what He wants, and so many of us get caught up in the asking to receive, we forget to give Him the praise and glory He deserves! If He does not answer our specific wants, isn’t He still more than enough to do all that we ask, seek or imagine?
I received so much more this weekend by saying, “Your way, not mine.” I saw friends filled with the Holy Spirit, friendships made stronger, callings come to life, brokenness healed, sickness defeated, and new visions. He spoke to me about just being still. We don’t always have to be so busy! I was able to rest in Him, something I’ve always heard but not really understood.
Slow down. Are you expecting specifics? Have you truly given them to God, and are you being thankful for what He is doing and going to do in your life? Be in the word. Study it and commit it to memory. Then be free in worship. Worship is His time so don’t use that time to keep reminding Him of your specifics. He already knows them! Use that time to just be with Him and open your heart to receive what He wants to do for you.

Verses to read: Psalms 27:3,4; Psalms 46:10; Nehemiah 9:5

1 comment:

liv319 said...

Good blog/e-vo :) Even better the second time around.