Thursday, October 30, 2008

Random thoughts that may not make sense....

Halloween is upon us and since the church is not having the usual Trunk to Trunk, many have asked, "What do we do now?" Sammy is two, and playing dress up is fun, so I did buy a costume. I'm not huge into Halloween, but prior to having Sammy, I enjoyed passing out candy and seeing the fun costumes. I don't get into the scary, although I know it's part. To me, Halloween has always been one of those "American traditions" where a sense of community actually exists. I never put thought to the pagan roots because, really, how many other "American traditions" have pagan roots? Easter baskets are fun and I put Biblical themes into them, but the root is actually pagan. The Christmas tree is pagan, but I can't imagine not putting one up. The other bonus of Halloween= free candy, DUH! And, with Sammy being so young, and never having had Alexis for Halloween, I guess we just haven't talked much about what we want to share with our kids about Halloween. All I need is for my brilliant kid to say, "Well, if we can't celebrate Halloween, why do you put a Christmas tree up? It's all just good fun, right?" Grrr...
I don't decorate for Halloween, but I do love the look of pumpkins. We don't carve them, mainly pure laziness. I decorate for fall, and have a friendly scarecrow on my door. It was a dollar at Dollar Tree. I don't see the big deal in trick or treating, except we don't go because Sammy is so young and frankly, it's usually cold and rainy. This year though it's supposed to be nice.
Yes, participating in church-sponsored "Harvest parties" is technically celebrating. Providing an alternative may give the impression that there is reason to celebrate Halloween. But, Alexis at 10, doesn't even know there are pagan roots. She doesn't know what pagan means. To her, it's one big dress-up party. Do I tell her and put thoughts in her mind, or let it go because her mom is ALWAYS going to celebrate it?
We don't do witches, goblins or ghosts. We don't go to Haunted Houses, although I will admit, I think they are fun. But, because of convictions, I can't support it. My kids will not participate in psychic readings, Ouija board games, or cultish rituals. We don't watch horror movies, because really, why put that in your head? Beetlejuice was stupid and funny. Alexis's loves Witches of Waverly Place on Disney and it's doesn't seem evil. hmmm.....
Why do stores get so into Halloween and decorating, but when it comes to Christmas, many are being careful not to "offend" so they just say Happy Holidays? If I tell them I'm a Christian and offended when they tell me Happy Halloween, do you think they will stop? Will they take down the decorations if I threaten to stop shopping at their store?
And off the Halloween topic, I read an interesting email about a pastor who gave Sarah Palin a word about being a modern day Esther. Dang it, I knew I should have blogged about that a while back. Marty and I had a good conversation after she was announced about how God raised up women when men were failing. So knowing God raised up Palin, anyone STILL voting against a move of GOD and for Obama? Why would you vote against a known Christian who is God-fearing and bold about it? Nothing personal, Obama. But I truly, deeply feel that God appointed Sarah Palin for a time like this.
And by the way, I think we are going to the Heritage Park safe Halloween thing a ma jig. 5pm tp 7pm tomorrow night. Kennedy High School is doing a trunk to trunk tonight from 6pm to 8pm but it is secular so there will likely be scary trunks. Marty is taking Sammy anyway for some free candy.

No comments: