Friday, October 24, 2008

M&M E-votional 10/24/08

Romans 12:11 “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony….”
Like many people, my testimony has become such a part of me, the impact of it often does not even affect me. I think people will not really care to hear it or it is not that big of a deal. My life has completely revolved around God and all things Pentecostal. I have always gone to church, went to a private school for much of my schooling, was very involved in youth group and leadership for as long as I can remember, went on missions trips and my main circle of friends-though it has changed many times-have always been Christians.
When I went to Bolivia in January 2004, the testimony of my healing was dramatically changed. First, for those who do not know, when I was three I was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. When they found it, it was in 98% of my blood cells. The doctors told my mom there was nothing they could do and that she should take me home. I would be dead in a week, so she should enjoy her last few days with me. My mom was shocked. At 32 years old, her husband (my dad) had left a few months prior and moved to Texas with another woman. My brother was seven, and having difficulty dealing with the loss of his dad. He had also recently been diagnosed with severe ADHD. And now to add to all of it, my mom was being told her daughter was going to die and that there was nothing that could be done.
Well, my mom insisted on treatment. She immediately called all her “prayer warriors” and the church. Word spread and people all over were praying for my healing. One night, the Lord gave my mom the scripture John 11:4, “….for this is not a sickness unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified.” Long story short, it’s no surprise, I was miraculously healed! Within a year, the cancer was completely gone. I have never relapsed. I have been cancer free for 25 years!
Fast forward to my trip to Bolivia. All the team members were told we would be sharing our testimonies. I felt like mine was so lame compared to some of the others who had been through drugs, horrible childhoods, abuse, etc, but I shared the testimony of my healing anyway. What was I going to do, make something dramatic up? NO! Afterwards, Pastor Galvano, an evangelist on the trip with us, said he wanted to speak to me. He told me that when I was sick, Satan had me in his grip. I was supposed to die. Let that sink in. I was meant for death. Cancer had taken over 98% of my blood cells. How does a three year old survive that? Only by the grace and mercy of God! Pastor Galvano said that when my mom pleaded and cried out to Him, He heard her cry and had mercy on her. I was saved because of my mother’s prayers. She could have succumbed to the diagnosed, accepted it and planned for my death. But, she refused to sit back and watch me die.
There are so many “mini-testimonies” within my testimony and I am open to talk about it but if I kept going now, this devotional will turn into a book!
What are you believing for? Are you accepting the “diagnosis” or are you standing on the promise of God that He will give us grace and mercy?

Scriptures to read: Romans 10:17, Romans 8:11, Isaiah 40:31, Jeremiah 30:17, Jeremiah 33:6, Matthew 18:19, John 10:10

No comments: